10 Feb 5 Delicious and Affordable Bubbles for Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to share some tasty bubbles with your sweetheart. Here are five recommendations that vary from moderately priced ($95) to real steals ($20) and are the perfect start for any romantic celebration.
- NV Ruinart Rosé– a beautiful orange-yellow rose petal color is complemented with very fine and abundant bubbles. The nose reveals fresh, red fruit notes with a well balanced palate with just a hint of pastry and spice. 55% Pinot Noir and 45% Chardonnay. Widely available and retailing for approximately $90.
- NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé– salmon-pink in color with fine, slow rising bubbles this lovely champagne is characterized by a nose of red fruits and fresh pears. The delicate fruit flavors linger on the palate with a decided freshness. Available at Specs (Midtown), approximately $95.
- Val de Mer French Sparkling, Non Dosé– beautiful aromas of toasted brioche, caramel, apple and lemon mingle with a minerality and crispness on the palate. This beautiful wine from Chablis is my favorite sparkling wine at the moment. Available at Bistro Menil by the coup ($14) and by the bottle ($54) and the featured sparkling wine for our Valentine’s Day Dinners.
- 2012 Raventos i Blanc “L’hereu” Conca del Riu Anoia Brut– pale yellow-gold in color with lemon and quince aromas, this beautiful cava is as complex as champagne. Spicy and dry on the palate with a nice mineral and floral finish. A combination of Parellada, Macebeo and Xarel-Lo, this wine has been a favorite of Spain’s best chefs. Available at Specs (Midtown) $20.
- Borgoluce Prosecco Brut– a classic Prosecco with a rich and creamy character and distinct aromas of wildflowers, apples and pears. It is pleasantly acidic yet fruit forward and silky on the palate. Available at Specs (Midtown) $20.
There are so many quality choices out there and I love tasting new and under-valued wines like the Cava and Prosecco listed here as well as sharing new discoveries for me, like the Billecart-Salmon. We sell the Val de Mer and Ruinart at Bistro Menil and I highly recommend them as excellent choices for any occasion. Cheers and Happy Valentine’s Day!